Friday, November 26, 2010

FIRST ICE! (Thanksgiving Day)

The Black Dike - a bit thin
Max and I finally got first ice yesterday, up on Cannon Cliff.

We awoke at about 3:45, left by 4, and were at the base of the Black Dike (WI4 M3) at about 7 AM.

Then we got held up by another party, who'd arrived in the parking lot about 10 minutes before us.  Still, we topped out around 1 and got back for Turkey by 3:30.

What a great way to start the season.

Some lessons:

Max is in love with his new tools.  If they could belay him, I have little doubt that I'd be dropped like a hot brick.

The ultra-lightweight CAMP Air CR harness I was wearing for the first time is NOT designed for climbing, unless you're soloing, I suppose.  Going back to my old Petzl until I can afford a Xenos.

0 comments:

Post a Comment